Government of Karnataka

Sri Chamundeshwari temple

Hindu Religious Institutions & Charitable Endowments Department
Regional Commissioner, Mysore Division.     Website: rcmysore-portal.kar.nic.in

Sri Shweta Varahaswami Temple

This temple is located near the southern gate –way of the Fort. It is constructed in the typical Hoysala style. The processional image of the temple has an inscription which records that it was the gift of King Chikka Devaraja Wodeyar (1673-1704). The stone image of Shweta Varahaswami, now in the sanctum-sanctorum, was brought from Srimushna, in Tamil Nadu by Chikka Devaraja Wodeyar and consecrated in anew temple at Srirangapatna which was the then capita. This temple was destroyed by Tipu Sultan and later in 1809, the Deity was brought to Mysore and consecrated in the present temple, constructed by Dewan Purnaiah as per the wishes of Krishnaraja Wodeyar 3.

The temple has “an elegantly carved doorway, well executed pillars and a good tower.” It also houses inscribed image of Srivaishnava saints Desikar and Jeeyar. One of the important features of this temple is the mural paintings on the walls and in the Navaranga or the pillared hall. The murals represent scenes from Ramayana and Bhagavatha, particularly the exploits of Krishna etc. these murals are in good state of preservation. The temple is with in a high walled enclosure and the south-eastern wakk also a mural representing the coronation of Rama (Rama pattabhisheka). The painted inscription below the panel states that ten painting was executed on Monday the 2, of bright half of the month Magha in the cyclic year Bhava of Shaka Era 1797 (A.D.1875).


Useful Info